Pellets and there difficulties

This is where you can talk about anything fishing.

Pellets and there difficulties

Postby SeaTea » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:06 pm

I'll try anything: but I can't seem to sort out this pellet fishing lark. Firstly I bought some "Ringers" pellet and om the last match (Ribbon lake) started with good intentions put the pellet in the pump; pumped and pumped and pumped to no avail. walked over to ray asked him, he tried.; no. walked over to darkie he tried ;no. reckon i bought either a duff lot or the wrong ones So knocked pellet fishing on the head for the day. Since then after a few talks with darkie I've bought some "Ringers Original pellet 6mm expanders" lets see how it works out on the next match at woodpeckers: On a seperate point, Bill Norris you should be a professional photographer, those pics from Sumners ribbon lake are excellent. well done. and to finish what a crap idea to vote on who's gonna win the league this year: should be void cos I'm not on the list.
SeaTea

Re: Pellets and there difficulties

Postby mitchellg » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Agree with you about Bills photos.BRILLIANT.
mitchellg

Postby huggyk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:50 pm

when you say you couldn,t pump your ringers pellets, what was wrong did they not sink, melt, or what? dont understand how your problem went.x may be able to help
huggyk

Postby SeaTea » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 pm

huggyk wrote:when you say you couldn,t pump your ringers pellets, what was wrong did they not sink, melt, or what? dont understand how your problem went.x may be able to help

I put a handfull in huggy and after several attempts to pump they would not sink 9Apart from the odd one or two) consequently they would not sink or at least i assummed they wouldn't
SeaTea

Postby huggyk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:55 pm

SeaTea wrote:
huggyk wrote:when you say you couldn,t pump your ringers pellets, what was wrong did they not sink, melt, or what? dont understand how your problem went.x may be able to help

I put a handfull in huggy and after several attempts to pump they would not sink 9Apart from the odd one or two) consequently they would not sink or at least i assummed they wouldn't

not sure without watching first hand exactly whats wrong here but i would say that firstly you may have had the wrong type of pellet cos it really is easy to use and prepare pellets,like all fishing once shown, explained all becomes clear ; so how i do mine;...first off , i dont prepare any pellet at the lake always the night before. they need pumping at least four or five times to get em all to sink then leave em submerged for 10 minutes, drain, then seal in a bait tub with a plastic bag over just like you would store caster . they will swell overnight and stay sinkers perfect for hooking. use sinking feed pellets as feed in conjunction with pumped bait for the hook. :ugeek: simple,s.
huggyk

Postby SeaTea » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Cheers mate, I did buy "Ringers expanders" but in hind sight maybe i should have perservered. anyway: you explanation on how you prepare them makes perfect sense and that is what i'll do prior to the next match.
I've been watching a few tutorials on "youtube" and the preperation is usually the same: what does differ is the floats hooks rigs used. but my way of thinking is use dedicated pellet floats,hooks or rigs and shot according to the venue/conditions/depth etc. Am I right?
SeaTea

Postby mitchellg » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm

I've learnt something there.I always feed expanders when I use them on the hook.My thinking being keep it all the same.
mitchellg

Postby wobble top » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:51 am

me too gary always feed with my expander pellet will have to try huggys way now
wobble top

Postby huggyk » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:25 pm

SeaTea wrote:Cheers mate, I did buy "Ringers expanders" but in hind sight maybe i should have perservered. anyway: you explanation on how you prepare them makes perfect sense and that is what i'll do prior to the next match.
I've been watching a few tutorials on "youtube" and the preperation is usually the same: what does differ is the floats hooks rigs used. but my way of thinking is use dedicated pellet floats,hooks or rigs and shot according to the venue/conditions/depth etc. Am I right?

you are right and a rough guide i always have is as follows

match hook size to bait, (so for pellet 4mm/6mm etc) hook large enough to roll into pellet. *

float size ; for each foot of depth 1xno 10 ( flat calm) more for severity of wind tow.

pellet floats by there nature have thickish tips ( approx 1.5 m) to hold up a pellet but this will also depend how far you want to fish(see the float top). try as close as you can get away with, 1 x 4mm pellet is approx 1 x 10 for shotting reference.

* remember always hook your pellet against the grain it will stay on twice as long! :ugeek:
bye the way although you feed sinkers dont forget to soak em, they sink better and dont hold up in the surface skim, also match your soft hookers, ;) . cover in water and leave 1 minute for each mm, so 4mm sinkers 4 min soak/drain ready. :ugeek:
huggyk

Postby SeaTea » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:56 am

thanks huggy. and next....... I've just recieved a couple of bags of "Ringers Next generation 6mm expander pellets" and as I'm so keen took a handful and put them in the pump. after two pumps/releases hey presto 75% sunk. took these out into a bait box . re-pumped the remaining 25%: stubbon blighters would not sink, I guess that not every pellet in a bag is a sinker. So to my question... Can I keep the 75% sinkers in the fridge for three days? or do i/can i freeze them?

On a seperate point. if I put jelly crystals in the water pre pumping are the resulting pellets Jelli-Pellets?
SeaTea

Next

Return to General Fishing Discussion