next match

This is where you can talk about anything fishing.

next match

Postby huggyk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Q; are we having brecky?.
Q; have we got all of lake?
Q; will it precipitate?
Personally i have tried many methods on this prolific venue and always feel after the match, that i have done it wrong!. albeit caught a few 50lb ish on average, however it has normally had an open / club match on the day prior to our sunday which never helps with big weights. So this match i am going radical! trying something totally new/ different to previous attempts. feast or famine? we will see.......PLease feel free to enquire if you want to share my proposed attack this time round, also the reasons behind my theory!.
huggyk

Re: next match

Postby mitchellg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Yes we are having breakfasts.As far as I know we have the whole lake(we usually do here).Will make sure a week before once I have an idea of numbers.And no it will not pisstipate.
I for one would love to know what you have planned for the match and your reasons behind it.I also never seem to get it quite right here and always seem to end up frustrated because being so prolific you just feel that it should be easier but never is.
mitchellg

Postby huggyk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 am

mitchellg wrote:Yes we are having breakfasts.As far as I know we have the whole lake(we usually do here).Will make sure a week before once I have an idea of numbers.And no it will not pisstipate.
I for one would love to know what you have planned for the match and your reasons behind it.I also never seem to get it quite right here and always seem to end up frustrated because being so prolific you just feel that it should be easier but never is.

basically having fished the venue now a couple of times, just this year, and in our matches over the last couple of seasons, its apparent that the resident carp are getting very big!. also they tend to be in numbers either one end or tuther, when they are in number, you can catch a few until your arms ache but i thought i was drawing the wrong end having trouble with bits (assuming the carp are not there) and feeding heavy to try and feed em off! first mistake, i now think. so what to do?
1. avoid small bits.
2. dont over feed attracting ever more bits.
3. feed to each carp bite.
REMEDY
1.feed a small fish line to one side of the peg with groundbait etc. feed the carp line 10 mtr away i.e one line at 10 o clock one at 2 o clock,( not real time but as seen on a clock face) der!
2. i have tried feeding off the bits ! impossible, just feed the small fish line at reg times and try it once in a while.
3.on the carp line cup in / feed sparsley once for each fish!, but big baits also on the hook. 8mm pellet/ paste/ 8mm meat. hopefully the smaller fish have a problem with the bigger baits / heavier gear.
that is what i will be trying to do, you also may catch the larger skimmers/barbel by mistake! :ugeek:
it might pay to have lighter rigs in case to try over both areas, as usually they will do the sods law trick and show where they prefer, but trying both will cover all options. even if the bulk of the carp are at the opp end they tend to show sometime during the match, in smaller numbers ;)
huggyk

Postby mitchellg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Will be very interesting to see how it works out.Big baits sound like a great idea.
mitchellg

Postby mitchellg » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Keith,
So did the plan work out and did you take anything from the match that could help us there in the future?Myself,I tried the two line approach feeding heavily to one side to attract the small fish and fished an 8 or11mm pellet or large piece of meat.The problem I had was actually getting a bait to the bottom.I swiched to a one gram rig with a bulk shot to bomb the bait to the bottom but the float just would not sit still with the bits knocking the bait all over the place.I had a bad day.Landed two.Pulled out of four after playing them for five minutes each and hooked a seven pounder which I had to throw back because I hooked it after the whistle.My luck has to change soon.
mitchellg

Postby huggyk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:20 pm

mitchellg wrote:Keith,
So did the plan work out and did you take anything from the match that could help us there in the future?Myself,I tried the two line approach feeding heavily to one side to attract the small fish and fished an 8 or11mm pellet or large piece of meat.The problem I had was actually getting a bait to the bottom.I swiched to a one gram rig with a bulk shot to bomb the bait to the bottom but the float just would not sit still with the bits knocking the bait all over the place.I had a bad day.Landed two.Pulled out of four after playing them for five minutes each and hooked a seven pounder which I had to throw back because I hooked it after the whistle.My luck has to change soon.

as my old RSM would often be heard to say"you will find sympathy in the dictionary between syphalas and shit".never did understand that man.suffice it to say , your luck just has to improve. as for my match although better than yours, was still frustrating,good roach and skimmers are wasted in this "carp" lake, in my view it needs an overhaul in fishery management and improve its stocking levels!. particularly as they have a brilliant silvers lake that would benefit with the stocking/ moving of said fish to this lake , leaving the match lake carp to its own methods/ stock. never really improved from my last visit although i was close to my previous peg and the bulk of the carp seem to be camped at the far end, even that said they are in most pegs but difficult to catch when small fish are in numbers. :twisted: . looking forward to the next match, should have its levels up to normal now, cant remember fishing woodpeckers in high summer , we normally on there earlier in the year? :ugeek:
huggyk

Postby mitchellg » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Me too.My luck might change.You never know or maybe I might even fish better....
mitchellg

Return to General Fishing Discussion